Saturday, February 16, 2008


It is assumed that in being a PhD student in the biomedical sciences, biology will find every way possible to creep into your daily life. But, one does like to look for every opportunity to bring the daily life into the biology.

When preparing microscope slides, it is common to seal the edge of the slide with clear nail polish. So, as I will be preparing a rather large number of slides next week, I made a trip to Ulta to peruse the Essie aisle. I don't use Wet 'N Wild on my nails, so I sure as hell won't use it in my lab.

I wasn't entirely innocent on the trip to Ulta, and returned home with something sort of lab-related - gloves, bleach, and handwashing tend to torch my hands, but I'm fairly pleased with this apricot oil so far.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I prefer Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails for sealing my slides because it dries pretty quickly. I use the clear stuff because I like the look of the clean, clear glass slide. I'm neurotic like that.