Sunday, February 10, 2008




After a frustrating day of tutoring and a worthless trip to the Neiman Marcus sale (they had nothing good marked down, and with their "luxury experience" dressing rooms of large size but questionable number, I waited in line for 35 minutes to try on a Diane Von Furstenburg dress that nearly brought me to tears in its unflattering-ness), I came home to make pizza. Seeing as how I was starving and there was a log of goat cheese and a pack of basil in my fridge, the idea of my apartment smelling like an Italian cafe was appealing. But no. No, I had to open the flour to discover weevils. Not ants, weevils.

Wikipedia tells me the following:

A weevil is any beetle from the Curculionoidea superfamily. They are usually small, less than 6 mm (¼ inch), and herbivorous. Due to the shape of their heads, weevils are commonly known as snout beetles. There are over 60,000 species in several families, mostly in the family Curculionidae (the true weevils). Some other beetles, although not closely related, bear the name "weevil", such as the biscuit weevil (Stegobium paniceum), which belongs to the family Anobiidae.

Weevils are often found in dry foods including nuts and seeds, cereal and grain products. In the domestic setting, they are most likely to be observed when opening a bag of flour although they will happily infest most types of grain including oats, barley and breakfast cereals. If ingested, E. coli infection and other various diseases can be contracted from weevils, depending on their diet.

So, according to my internet research, if I had made pizza with this flour (I was deeply considering just removing the top layer and chucking the weevils down with the fishes), I would have gotten E. coli. That sounded swell and all, but I decided In N Out was a better option (animal style, no pickles, and fries well done, naturally).

I blew my week's free cash on these stainless canisters from Sur La Table. Gmail tells me that they will arrive in 7-10 days, and will keep my flour and sugar weevil-free.

No comments: