Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Chemistry and Cupcakes . . .


Today involved me trying to create two recipes. Both are frivolous, but if successful, gorgeous.
A) Antigen retrieval of lymphocyte markers. To sum things up for you non science folk, one can take a portion of tissue and fix it in a waxy substance, then slice it (sort of how one slices deli meat) and attach said slices to a microscope slide. This allows the tissue to stay for long periods of time and not "go bad," so to speak. One may then, by following a protocol (which I am trying to write, having never done this before) to remove the waxy substance and stain for a variety of cell type-specific markers. Even though I am performing another test to determine my cell types, if this works I will have gloriously pretty (and fluorescent) photos of my cells lighting up, as opposed to just boring graphs that say yes, these are indeed [insert cell type here].

B) White cupcakes. I continue to find recipes, but many of them have just a few awful reviews, saying "too sweet," "too dry," so on and so forth. Being a PhD candidate doesn't exactly leave one with lots of spare time (and that time is usually spent watching Dexter), so I am not keen on the idea on trying 5 recipes. Are cupcakes really THAT fantastic? Not really. Are they good for you? Certainly not. But, much like my *hopefully* pretty glowing slides will be for my paper (in 17 years), they will be a lovely addition to my blah week.

4 comments:

Jen said...

How dare you question the awesomeness that is the cupcake!

Give up on white - go for red velvet. So much more deliciousness per bite.

Unknown said...

I love how you told me you started a blog. LOSER.

Stephanie said...

Mostly because it sucks. Actually I figured you would see it because I commented on yours . . .

faithsalutes said...

Make me cupcakes!