Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Essentials

While we all personalize our living environments to suit our individual tastes, there are some things that function in our humble abodes as the little black dress does in our closet. No matter the day, they seem to be the perfect choice, and never go out of style. Style At Home just published a list of the top ten essentials for a home, and I've got to say, the list is somewhat eerie (but maybe that's just because I'm a boring, pearl-wearing scientist).

The full list:
• A leather club chair - when I make a spare room into a study, this is top on the list.
• A decorative throw - Check. It's cashmere.
• An ample sofa - Haha. If you've had the pleasure of watching campy tv at my place, you've been sucked into the giant sofas. Quite possibly, it was difficult for you to get back up again.
• A wool area rug - Check. It's chocolate brown.
• Quality stainless steel flatware - Check. It's Wedgwood, and was purchased for 75% off (oddly enough, because it's a very simple pattern). I have received many, many complements on my silverware.
• A crystal vase - Check. My mother is best described as a Waterford whore.
• A 48-inch round pedestal table - Check. Crate and Barrel. Love it. My favorite thing downstairs.
• Crystal or fine glassware - sort of . . . I have a set of Waterford, but it's at my parents' until I have a real place to live (aka not graduate student housing).
• 500-thread-count cotton bedding - Check. From Costco, naturally.
• White dishware - Check. Pottery Barn, and it holds up like steel. Really. It doesn't even get scratch marks from angry knives.
• A pharmacy lamp - Yup. It's nickel, and I rescued it from the clearance rack of Restoration Hardware. Provides some great light at my desk, which I sadly don't use much because I mostly stay camped out at my desk in my lab.
• Original art - Absolutely. Well . . . they're prints hand-created from seaweed and kelp. They're gorgeous, and I adore them :) And they're much prettier than they sound.

What on this list jumps out at you?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want a round table sooooo badly! I can't wait for ou next home where we can have one (hope! hope! hope!)