Monday, November 10, 2008

Confessions

So . . . I hate to admit it, but I like the theater. I love dramatic performance, and I love comparing scripts to original novels, and seeing words play out on the stage. However, this is not to say that I am a huge fan of musicals, by the way.

I dragged my good friend Nick (an investment banker who was petrified of anything Broadway) to see Doubt in New York in the spring of 2006. It has now been made into a film, and I couldn't be more excited to see it, and compare it to the stage version. I sincerely hope that they maintain the sterility of the play (and I mean that in a good way), because it leaves you focusing on the words, and room to play with the intentions of the characters. It's worth noting that we both left the play with very different interpretations of what the actual conflict was (the work revolves around whether a character is guilty or not guilty). I hope that the film doesn't choose sides, but in fact leaves it up to the audience.

What's the best film adaptation of a play or novel you've seen? Why?

No comments: