Saturday, April 19, 2008

The Iron Curtain? Steph vs Ikea?

I have this odd love affair with Ikea. While it provides college students, young professionals, and budget-conscious adults with cute home furnishings without breaking the bank, it is often hard to replicate the look you see in the store. How many of you wander around the gorgeous "rooms" and assure yourself that your pad will be just as swanky? And how many of you look bewildered at your beige particleboard table and wonder why it looks so damn, well, Ikea?

My current issue is with the curtains. While fabulous and floaty in store, rendering lightness and softness to the in-store display, they were frustrating and sweat-inducing in graduate student housing. What the heck gives with fabric one must cut themselves, adhere tape, iron down the tape, and hack off approximately two feet (by eye) before hanging? I won't even go into why they include screws, but not the right ones, or my issues with the cordless drill (although this is not the fault of Ikea). Sigh. My downstairs is now fully curtained, and I am fully exhausted.

3 comments:

Jen said...

Steph, I think you need to give up your Susie Homemaker dream (other than the cooking - just make sure to invite me over next time you make cheesecake!)

When I bought Ikea curtains I didn't even bother hemming. I just let them drape all the way to the floor and folded the excess under. Ah, college.

Stephanie said...

And why would I need to give it up? My apartment is looking 300X better.

Do you know what my kitten would do with curtains draped on the floor?! And besides, that would look *ack* not good. Shame on your college apartment, Jen. You need to get in touch with your homemaker side.

Unknown said...

Hehe I tagged you. Read my blog.