Wednesday, April 30, 2008



In my quest to make my apartment just the way I want it (considering the limited budget of a graduate student, and the fact that you can only do so much with a graduate student apartment that one cannot paint or change fixtures in), I've gotten a few new things. The couches have to stay, because, well, they're comfy, and "some" changes don't equal several thousand dollars. Instead, I've settled for curtains, pillows, possibly a new rug, new kitchen appliances and canisters, and a new breakfast table. A new coffee table may also happen, if I see one I like.

My interior design skills are questionable. I know what I want when I see it, but I can't describe what I want. I will never be super country or super modern, and I don't believe in decorations that are not functional, with the exception of artwork. I started looking for a new table quite some time ago, and wasn't happy with any of the options. And then I saw this.

It's mohogany, stained, and finished. It is dark, but not too dark. It is the perfect size, and it is classic and beautiful. I fell in love with the stand - I know it's not everyone's taste, but it's classic American, and very "Jackie O's vacation home." I love it, and it comes a week from today. Me being the scientist that I am, I spent weeks researching types of wood, their stability and durability, and I think mohogany floats the boat. Hopefully it doesn't scratch badly.

I like having things in my apartment that are very me. Not that were free, that I strongly dislike, or I inherited from an old roommate. They're something that I fell in love with, and I made the decision to add to my home. Here's to redecorating.

Today's poll: What is your favorite piece of furniture in your house?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm partial to toilets.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE that table! I have been on the lookout for an inexpensive pedestal table in black for a while now. A lot of places have them, but I want a super deal or it's not worth it. Very bothersom. Haha.

My favorite piece of furniture is my dining room table. Seats 12. Best purchase ever. :)

Unknown said...

{{squeee}} I just LOVE the new table. Me likey! Me likey! A LOT :) The mahogany look is very "in" right now, but it's not "trendy". It's gorgeous and it's classic and that's what I love about it. Now you've got me wanting to buy some new furniture! But sadly we're in the throes of doing window treatments (OMG how stupidly-expensive are THEY!?!?! wowza, don't ask! LOL).

Let's see... my favorite piece of furniture? Truthfully? I don't think I have one. I mean, and I'm sitting here actually thinking about it. Wow, that's kinda sad cuz I picked out all the furniture in our house, no 2nds, no hand-me-downs, nothin... I picked it all and I think it's nice but I don't have a fave.

Jen said...

My bed. It doesn't have a head or footboard, or even a dust ruffle, but it's ridiculously comfortable - sometimes too comfortable. The rest is just hand-me downs from my parents that won't be replaced until I make big girl money.