Friday, March 21, 2008

The past few weeks have been filled with science and the desert. Now, it's not that I'm against nature, or physical activity, or both for that matter (this is a girl who has, for many years, considered doing the Alcatraz swim with her father), but hiking for two hours across rocks to go see "wildflowers" (sad little daisies) is highly, highly overrated. I present you with my disdain (standing on a rock and being very, very disappointed)



So, there were a couple of pretty things within the 3 day stretch of awfulness known as the department retreat, that being these:



A two hour hike for 5 flowers? I don't think so. I love science, and I adore its exquisite manifestations, but the desert is not one of them. The Anza Borrega is highly overrated. But you know what's highly underrated? Alaska. For some reason this retreat made me want to go back.

1 comment:

Jen said...

Dude, you can't use "considered doing" as a personality trait. I've "considered" skydiving, urban spelunking, hiking the Continental Divide Trail and eating fish.

In other news, I like that flower, but would not hike three days to see it. Good thing you took a picture!